Thursday, October 16, 2008

Identity (Post #5)

Magazines, TV shows, and many other venues of entertainment today present relatively the same image of "ideal beauty" today. Many teenage girls rely on thier appearance to define themselves and thier identity and they look to the media for the epitome of beauty. They are confronted everyday with images of how society wants them to look, even though that "look" is not the reality for the majority of the US population. These confrontations often lead the girls to resort to different methods of "helping" themselves achieve the "look" society has conjured up. The rapidly growing numbers of very thin celebrities as well as other people in the media shown today have led many girls resort to eating disorders in order to obtain that "perfect look".

I believe that I have chosen to write my research paper on the decline in average sized women in the media today and the effects that this has on the teenage girls. I would elaborate on this by using examples of how the girls view themselves compared to the media and the other reasons behind their choice to resort to drastic measures. I would also like to explore the effects that the constant showing of society's construed image of beauty in the media on teenage girls and why it leads them to disorders.

(Any other ideas are welcome!!!)

No comments: